Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Who Are the 10% Who Think U.S. on Right Track? | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

One of the first people I met was "satisfied," but she'd also been drinking that afternoon and wouldn't let me use her name. (I directed her to the closest bar.) Later I found a really sweet couple satisfied with the way things are going in America, because they live in Canada. Then I talked to Warren DeSmidt, 65, of Cedarburg, Wis., who quite convincingly told me he thinks the economic mess is just "a bump in the road … and order will be restored." Lynda Race, of Arlington, Va., who is "almost 50," boiled it down: "I love America. Where else would you be more satisfied?" By the end of my interviews, I agreed with their criticisms of the media and with the fact that Chris Matthews has totally lost it.I'm betting the NEWSWEEK poll's 10 percenters are like the ones I met on Pennsylvania Avenue: ├╝beroptimists who see this financial-core meltdown as "just a flesh wound," like the Black Knight in Monty Python's "Holy Grail" who keeps fighting after King Arthur lops off his arms and legs. "I've had worse," the knight says. So has the United States, and maybe that's what the "satisfieds" understand that the rest of us don't.
Who Are the 10% Who Think U.S. on Right Track? | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: