Monday, January 05, 2009

Hadley Freeman: Toxins are all in the mind | Comment is free | The Guardian

The direct translation from Latin of anorexia nervosa is "a nervous loss of appetite", a name that is extraordinarily misleading. A more appropriate term would be "fear of food". An anorexic believes that eating food of any nutritional value will do them harm, usually because it will cause them to gain weight - although some anorexics cite a more generalised terror. To read the theories behind some of the self-proclaimed detox diets is to see a similar kind of phobic attitude, such as the thesis that cheese "clogs the system" or wheat "slows the metabolism", to quote the theories of two popular detox diets.
I once dated a woman whom I suspected (correctly as i later found out) of having an eating disorder. It was from her I learned about the existence of this concept of 'detox'. I will never forget the chill that went down my spine when she told me she was going to fast for 5 days to 'detox'.

Hadley Freeman: Toxins are all in the mind | Comment is free | The Guardian
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: