Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The collapse of Moscow: Architectural heritage being destroyed - Europe, World - The Independent

I saw evidence of this with my own two eyes this week. Just outside my hotel, sticking out on a point at the end of an island in the Moscow River, someone had built a monument so ugly I could not even bring myself to take a picture. It was as tall as my hotel, a 16 story building. A giant viking stood atop a Spanish galleon which itself stood atop a set of cresting waves and other galleons. The man was as tall as the masts of the ship and raised his hand as he peered forward. It struck me as a tawdry appeal to nationalist myths that seek to place the origins of Russian culture exclusively in the Nordic Rus said to have peopled the country in the latter part of the first millennium, B.C. It is an eyesore which can be seen for miles around.

Russia turned itself over to gangster capitalism, in part at the urging of neo-cons who, as it turned out, also turned the United States and Britain over to a somewhat more refined form of the same thing.

The collapse of Moscow: Architectural heritage being destroyed - Europe, World - The Independent
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: